Thursday, October 10, 2013

day after chemo

Yesterday I was sitting in chemo, and my office called to say I had scheduled a surgery for Friday am. That is typically my worst day, and I would not even be able to walk to the hospital front door. So I said I can’t do that, but see if I can do it Thursday (today). And with a little finagling, we got it on for 9:30am today. Then we woke up to my daughter having recurrent strep (she just got over scarlet fever from it). So I ran her in to the pediatrician at 8:00am. They recommended this bicillin shot that would keep her from having to take pills (and avoid the noncompliance induced by parents). We were all for it. But what we did not know how much it hurts. It killed her. She had trouble walking. And, the kindly gray haired pediatrician informed me that she would be fine to go to school tomorrow. Tomorrow? Not today? He said that would be public health issue to send her back with active strep. So I called the neighbor in a panic. She took Harriet while I did the surgery. Then we had to run, together, to the orthodontist since I broke my permanent retainer (which was put on in Houston 15 years ago) during chemo (what are the odds?). My daughter, who was feeling much better once the penicillin was working, was climbing all over, going through my credit cards, sitting on my lap in the dental chair, slathering strep on all touchable objects. 

Then we sped home to lie down together, which really is an unexpected treat. We got Monsters Inc going, and I believe that will be just my speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment