Sunday, September 1, 2013

Grateful



I am in the low part of the bad week. But, it does seem to be better. With better drugs and steady chicken noodle soup, I think I am figuring out how to manage it.  

I like to think of things that are good.  As we just passed the 50th anniversary of the Martin Luther King speech, I have to say I am grateful to him. I have always thought that he allowed me to be an orthopedist. At the time I went into orthopedics, it was less than 1% women.  But I was allowed to enter, given an equal opportunity for the pursuit of my happiness.  Orthopedics is not something I always aspired to. I did not even know what it was. But I was rounding in the hospital with Ron Lindsay, MD, an African American Yale educated middle aged orthopedist, checking the pins hooked up to traction, and asked, “do you think I could do this?” His answer, “Pull up your boot straps, Dr. DeWitt!” And I did. Thank you Dr. King and Dr. Lindsay.

No comments:

Post a Comment