Thursday, November 21, 2013

to be thanksful...

Oh my gosh. You would think our friends and family would tire of this cancer cherade. But we have received meals, flowers, warm blankets monogrammed, pajamas that accommodate drains, and even fresh squeezed grapefruit juice this am (since my taste is still messed up from chemo).  I don't know what we would do otherwise.

My 8 year old awoke in a crabby mood this am. Mainly due to the fact that mom would have to be seen in the pediatrician's office this am wearing a pajama top with drains. It was just too embarrassing for her.  I explained that I would put a coat over it, tuck it in to my very normal appearing jeans, and no one would know the difference. But later she would say she was mad because I failed to wear a wig on top of the outfit. And there were so many normal moms in the waiting room who saw, she said.

But on a good note, I was able to drive, did fine, got strep tested (to make sure I am not giving it to my daughter).  And Chip, our faithful pediatrician, feels that this should clear up if we hang in there long enough.  So that is reassuring.

My 12 year old got a new long board (skate board). And found an event in science olympiad that uses old skate board wheels, so this is right up his alley. My spouse is slowly gaining some sleep. 

Tomorrow, a meeting at the hospital, then 2 hours of clinic. I think I am ready. 

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Dewitt,

    Couldn't help but get a chuckle regarding your comments regarding your 8 year old. With your journey of cancer; my wife's journey of MS; and other Moms and Wives journeys....what is normal? Praying that you will have a very positive post-op report tomorrow, and continued healing.

    Kindest regards,

    Tommy Foster, Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you EVERY single day my friend. Sending love to you and your family! When I grow up....I want to be just like you! xoxox I hope to see you soon.

    Paige and the entire Kirk family!

    ReplyDelete